Thursday, August 11, 2011

Eggplant Ravioli

Here's the recipe I am planning to have tomorrow when my company comes. When I was in Italy, I had a wonderful dish of Eggplant Ravioli at some small restaurant. That was one of my all-time best meals EVER. I looked for years for a recipe for Eggplant Ravioli. I did find one, but it was really difficult. You had to make the raviolis by hand.

I had finally given up, and happened on this recipe in a magazine. (I am sorry, but I have had the recipe for years, and I didn't cut out the reference information for it. It does have calorie information and amounts for protein, fat, fiber, etc. so it might be Southern Living magazine, but that is just a guess.)

This recipe is almost as good as the meal I had in Italy, and the directions are really easy.

The eggplants I am using are from my garden. 

This is the meal before I cooked it. (I'll cook it tomorrow, once
my guests get here.)


Eggplant Ravioli


Vegetable Cooking Spray
2 t olive oil
1/2 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2- 15 ounce cans of tomato sauce
2 T sliced ripe olives
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 t dried thyme (I'll use fresh tomorrow, since I have so much thyme growing in the yard.)
1 t to 1 T of fresh oregano
2   packages of refrigerated cheese-filled ravioli, uncooked.
3 T grated Parmesan cheese

Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add olive oil, and place over medium high heat. Add eggplant, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, ripe olives, vinegar and thyme. Remove skillet from heat.

Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain. Rinse with cold water, and drain. Toss with vegetable mixture and place in 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


5 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds real yummy!!! Will have to give it a try for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it sounds great. I hope I can try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carol and Kris. I enjoy this recipe so much that we had the leftovers for supper. I wanted to lick my plate, but that's not polite. :) It's been several years since I have made this one and it is still as good as I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU - this is a recipe i can surely use! your blog is lovely and full of inspiration for me and my family! thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Teri D. I love your website, and read it regularly. Your crafts inspire me. Thank you for the kind words about my blog.

    ReplyDelete